In addition to the existing reports, tools, and features within your account, we’ve added new functionality to your 23andMe account to support your ability to access, download, and delete your personal information. To sign in to your account, visit 23andme.com, click on “sign in”, and enter your account email address and password. You can also sign in here.
Download your 23andMe data
You can now download the following 23andMe data within your account in commonly used, machine readable formats (.txt and .csv). Simply choose the data you would like to download.
The following downloads primarily contain Genetic Information:
- Reports Summary - Print or save an overview of your 23andMe reports, which includes brief descriptions of all report results. You can visit each report within your account for more details or to print or save each report individually.
- Ancestry Composition Raw Data - Download genomic coordinates (NCBI Build 37) for your Ancestry Composition results in .csv CSV format.
- DNA Relatives Data - Download shared DNA segments and profile data for your DNA Relatives as a .csv file. The information about each relative is dependent on their personal privacy settings and sharing level. You must be opted-in to DNA Relatives in order to download this information.
- Raw Data - Submit a request to download your genetic data in its raw, uninterpreted format (your A's, T's, G's, and C's), as a plain text (.txt) file. When your raw data is ready, we'll send a message to the email address linked to your 23andMe account.
The following downloads primarily contain Registration Information and Web Behavior Information:
- Account Event History - Website and data processing events associated with your account.
- Addresses - Mailing addresses associated with your account.
- Consent History - Legal documents, such as our Terms of Service and Consent Document, and agreements associated with your account and profile.
- Gift Cards - Gift cards you've received from 23andMe.
- Name Change History - Changes made to your profile name.
- Order History - 23andMe orders associated with your account.
- Shared Reports - Data about reports you’ve shared outside of 23andMe via email, link, Facebook, and/or Twitter.
The following downloads primarily contain Self-Reported Information:
- Phenotype Data - Data about yourself that you've provided through research participation and/or 23andMe profile.
Please note, you should only download your data from a personal computer and not a public computer.
Deleting your 23andMe data
If you no longer wish to participate in our Services, or no longer wish to have your personal information processed by us, you may delete your 23andMe account and personal information within the “23andMe Data” section of your Account Settings.
While we will delete the majority of your personal information, we must retain some information to comply with our legal obligations. Notably, the following limitations apply:
Genetic Information and/or Self-Reported Information that you have previously provided and for which you have given consent to use in 23andMe Research cannot be removed from ongoing or completed studies that use that information, as stated in any applicable Consent Document.
Genetic Information, date of birth, and sex will be retained by 23andMe and our third party genotyping laboratory as required for compliance with applicable legal obligations, including the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA), California Business and Professional Code Section 1265, and College of American Pathologists (CAP) accreditation requirements.
Limited information related to your account and data deletion request will also be retained by 23andMe, including but not limited to, your email address, account deletion request identifier, and record of legal agreements for a limited period of time as required by contractual obligations, and/or as necessary for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims and for audit and compliance purposes.
Deleting an account and associated data will permanently delete the data associated with all profiles within the account. If you do not wish to delete data for all profiles do not click the ‘Permanently Delete Data’ button. You can transfer a profile into another account or Contact Customer Care for assistance.
Once you submit your request, we will send an email to the email address linked to your 23andMe account detailing our account deletion policy and requesting that you to confirm your request. Once you confirm your request to delete your data, your account will no longer be accessible while we process your request. Once confirmed, this process cannot be cancelled, undone, withdrawn, or reversed. When your account is deleted, all associated personal information is deleted and any stored samples are discarded, subject to the limitations discussed above.
If you still have questions or have trouble downloading or deleting your personal information for any reason, please contact our Customer Care team by emailing privacy@23andMe.com.